Monday, July 21, 2008

Sonnets, Smoking and Sinning (Yes that is an alliteration)

Ok, my general feelings on sonnets have been well broadcast in class. However the specific thing that drives me crazy about them is a little harder to put into a snippet blurted in class. The reason I hate sonnets is not their obscurity, difficulty, structure, meter or restrictive boundaries. No, the reason I hate them has to do with the fact that these ridiculous poems of an antiquated and outrageous style are shoved down the throats of every beginning english class, when in fact the only people capable of stomaching these poet poopings are scholars and the poets intended victim. Further, they have the effect of causing the mildly curious enquirer into the field of literature to flee with the horrors of iambs lodged into there minds eye where they will spend their remaining days doing the very scorning of the sonnet that Anne Fadiman asks us not to (not to mention a lifelong effort to poke out their minds eye). While there is nothing wrong with obscure literature, nor is it beyond starting students, it is just that this bastard abortion of literature should be saved for those who find it quietly after seeking it, like the hidden shimmer of a valuable coin lost in the woods.

I quit Smoking seven weeks ago last friday, I quit cheating about quitting four weeks ago. There was no real point here, its just that I wanted people to know, and I'm starting to feel pretty smug about it. Now if I can avoid lying to myself about having just one more i might be able to actually quit. Yeah!

No comments: